View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I found this postcard a couple days ago on eBay. (I think the description is a bit confusing)

"In order to accommodate the thousands of Comrades to the 20th American Legion National Convention at Los Angeles, Sept. 19-22, 1938,
Victory Post No. 54 offers for your approval and invites you to visit "The Longest Bar In The World" located at 224 South Hill Street, Los Angeles Calif."

eBay

The description makes this sound like a bar that was built specifically for the 4 day convention? (by post #54)

Also, what building was located at 224 South Hill Street? (I'm pretty sure it's just a lot now) -although 222 South Hill is still standing.

Here's the reverse of the postcard.

We've visited the longest bar (or was it soda fountain?) on NLA, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this one.

_
Some data etc. on 224 S. Hill St., evidently known as the Bicknell Bldg., all from the Los Angeles Times:

--November 20, 1904: J.D. Bicknell is improving and altering a four-story brick building at 224-228 S. Hill at a cost of $60,000.

--September 2, 1933: a Warehouse Shoe Sale is to take place at the address.

--Your Longest Bar postcard is about an event occurring September 19-22, 1938.

--December 16, 1938 (right-hand column unrelated):

LA Times, via ProQuest, via the CSULB Library.

--January 18, 1948: The former assets of He & She of California are being auctioned off, the assets being composed of garment manufacturing supplies etc.

--May 10, 1951:

--December 19, 1957, referred to as the Bicknell Bldg., and as a clothing factory, with the Salvation Army Thrift Shop at 224 1/2 S. Hill St.: