View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady
Again, I live in a city built for the car, freeways and free-flowing traffic everywhere, but transit still successful. And you can look at all the freeways in Quebec City, ridership still similar to Winnipeg and London.

Of course, density is important, but all the more reason to invest in transit. You need to gradually increase density and promote infill development, and you need gradually get people out of cars at the same time.

But look at nearby Oklahoma City: it has dense, Sunbelt-style sprawl, but the transit ridership is even worse than Little Rock. I don't think the built form or US culture explains the whole problem. We are talking about almost 0% transit mode share, less than 1/30th of the transit ridership of another mostly post-war Great Plains city of 1.3 million people, Calgary. Is the built form and culture really THAT different from Calgary?
I get what you're saying but I've also spent a lot of time in the South and I've used the bus systems in Albuquerque, El Paso, Jacksonville, etc. Just from my experiences I have little faith that it could work.