View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 10:15 PM

Wilshire and Cloverdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The postcard shows the 1935 design for Sontag Drug--a 1935 Times article about the corner's acquisition by Sontag makes no mention of a previous building on the site, but then most of the article is a quote by a Sontag spokesman who was emphasizing the newness of its building. Perhaps a picture of 5401 prior to late 1935 will turn up; if there was a Mediterranean Revival building of some description on the lot, it was most likely by Norstrom & Anderson, who seem to have built mainly in that style. Marcus P Miller was known more for his Streamline and other modern styling--he did the famous Darkroom just to the east and across the street of Sontag Drugs, for one building.

Below is a Times drawing of a planned building that perhaps never came off--there isn't much info as to architect, though this is very much in accord with the work of Norstrom & Anderson. The exact location on the corner of Wilshire & Cloverdale isn't indicated. Maybe it was eventually built elsewhere, but perhaps the project, built or unbuilt, evolved somehow, for some reason, into Miller's Sontag.

LAT
Thanks for the clarification. I knew the postcard view wasn't pre the supposed remodel. I just couldn't resist putting it up as it's a good illustration of how one photo can get doctored into day and night shots. Notice too how the building across Cloverdale from Sontag drug is Streamline in one postcard and Spanish Colonial Revival in the other. Signs and awnings come and go too.

I'm guessing the proposed building (above) did get built at 5401 and later remodeled into the Sontag plus the A&P. Three cheers for finding that. If it was built in '26 it would have been due an update by '35 given the location. This is on the SE corner of Wilshire and Cloverdale, later remodeled into The Darkroom/Chandler's Streamline Building.

The facade of the poor, abused Darkroom does have protected status, however the signage was not included in that. I recently saw an article about the sign (which is actually, of course, integral to the design). Some guy rescued it and had it in his apartment (it's missing the "K"). I can't find the link just now. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/2672275949/

Gebhard & Winter also identified 5401 as a Chandler's shoe store. I'm now thinking they may have gotten their corners mixed up as Chandler's was diagonally across the intersection.

Still can't figure out that chimney pot at 5401.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM.