View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
This is the only photo of the interior of that old building which is also one of my favorites of a time now vanished that I've ever seen. Does anyone know what this room is for sure? It appears that it might be the city council chamber. Although the furniture is a jumble of desks and chairs, I see seven desks and some of the chairs are swivel and some not, and a rostrum and the public galleries on the side looking down. Can’t tell if the area behind the railing might have a bench seat along the wall or if it’s just a public access to the floor. Whichever, this old building was a treasure for sure.

Since the chandelier is probably the center of the room the photographer was probably standing in the far corner, perhaps in a doorway. The dark area at the bottom right looks like brick and is probably a hearth suggesting a fireplace feeding one of the chimneys visible on the exterior.

Imagine that big room in council session on a cold day, with the gallery full of onlookers and a big roaring fire while they discuss the merits of realigning the streets and building a new city call…
I am certain there are other interior images of the old City Hall, although I can't recall another photo of what I also believe to be the City Counsel Chambers. Mayor Shaw would know all about that. Locating other interior shots is almost as difficult as finding a misplaced set of keys. To the best of my very limited knowledge, the building also housed a library and administrative/department offices. The City obviously outgrew the building, but it is hard to believe this magnificent space would not have received a second or third use. The chairs do not appear conducive to comfort, but they sure look official. Curious when and if the building received some of the modern amenities we take for granted, e.g., hot and cold plumbing, fly fans, wi-fi, metal detectors and ADA compliant hat racks.

City Hall "Reading Room-Library." Circa 1890 "The library was housed here from 1889-1906." Source states print dates from 1929 - and assume that to mean this was when this positive was printed. Photo is amusing considering the young lad studying botany because he seems to be reading a book against a potted plant.
Lapl

Circa 1890 City Hall "workers." (Windows appear to have been covered, presumably to limit backlight for photographer's benefit.)
Lapl

Last edited by Chuckaluck; Mar 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM.