View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawocd View Post
I think fflint hit this on the nail, but I wanted to add that post electrification(and subsequent service increase), I do see a strong argument for Caltrain to merge into the BART fare structure and brand. Not that even that would happen - it would require Santa Clara and San Mateo counties to join the BART board, and the joint powers board to cede all ownership to BART. While it might be nice in creating a unified regional system for the Bay Area, it would be politically impossible for many of the same reasons that San Mateo and Santa Clara counties opted out of the BART board in the first place. I live with my kitchen window 30' from the caltrain tracks on the peninsula, and with the amount of trouble my neighbors raise about the slightest construction project, I can't even fathom what they would say to building a new rail line.
If SF is to even put a dent in the housing crisis they need to resolve it would behoove the peninsula to do this. Also, it would require various suburban municipalities to accept that higher densities are needed to meet demand, both of which are very difficult to achieve.

Sadly a lot of this issue really comes down to turfwar politics even though it makes too much sense, just like the tons and tons of different agencies serving the bay area merging into a unified transit system.