View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The Third Crossing across the Catraqui is a major upcoming project. Environmental studies are still in the review process
From what I've been hearing, this third crossing has been on the books for decades and keeps getting put off. Personally, I think it should receive a certain amount of provincial funding, because it would divert traffic off of the 401.

Quote:
Williamsville is an area targeted by the city for regeneration - Princess between Concession/Bath and Division
https://www.cityofkingston.ca/city-h.../williamsville
That's my neighbourhood, and the regeneration is sorely needed. While it is generally a pedestrian-friendly area with high Walkability scores, there's a lot of ugly vacant properties and abandoned buildings. I live right by one of these lots, where a 7-Eleven stood prior to about 2010. Within a block of that there's an abandoned Pizza Hut and an abandoned CIBC.

There's an empty lot further west on Princess Street which was a Toyota dealership prior to maybe 2009, and there are development plans which have been getting some local opposition from the NIMBY crowd, but I think will go ahead anyways starting next year. The building proposed is a mixed-use commercial/residential development that is meant to affordable, and will probably attract a lot of students. And yet, the same people opposing these new developments complain about the number of single family homes in the older parts of Kingston that get converted to student housing.

Quote:
The tender is out for Highway 401 widening between West of Montreal Road, easterly towards Hwy 15.. should take a few years. It's already been widened to 6 lanes from west of 38 to west of Montreal
I'm hoping the 401 gets widened from Cobourg to Kingston soon. With the exception of the section east of Highway 38, it's only two lanes each way and especially between Cobourg and Belleville, it's getting pretty congested.