Thread: The 401
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One-way 407 journey from Missingsausage near Winston Churchill to terminus several kilometers away from the highway in buttfucknowhere, Whitby runs about $22 smackeroos, judging from the invoices I have received. Steep. Very steep indeed.
HEY! Brock is "my exit"! (though its not really an exit, at least for now) its also in Pickering.

My understanding is that it costs roughly $30 to drive the entire thing with a transponder. That lets you bypass 2-3 hours of traffic in rush hour though. Whenever I use it its Brock-404, which I think is around $6 for that, but saves me 30 mins screaming at my front windshield coming from further north on the 404. (mind you I'm not a daily user) Still get to scream at my windshield as I go further south though.

I don't mind it, if they charged $4 for the entire thing it would be a parking lot at rush hour as well. They charge as little as they can without clogging up the highway, going on it at rush hour it will be about as full as it can get while still having 5 lanes of cars moving 100km/h. Off peak rates should really drop though, it sits empty outside the hours of 7-9 and 4-7. There is no reason why at 2 in the afternoon you shouldn't be able to drive the whole length at say, $10.

Edit: with a transponder the 401-427 trip would have been around $6-$7. The highway isn't really meant for people driving through, its a commuter highway designed for daily users. (whether that is what is should be doing is questionable, but it is what it is)