View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Well, it looks like there will be announcement, today, that the bridge has gotten a presidential permit. This article finally gives some solid details on the actual bridge:

Quote:
The bridge: Plans call for a suspension or a cable-stayed bridge, to be decided during the design phase. Either way, the bridge will include six 12-foot-wide traffic lanes (three in each direction), ten-foot-wide outside shoulders, a three-foot-wide median and a five-foot-wide sidewalk on one side of the bridge.

Location: In Detroit, the bridge's main tower or pylon (depending on bridge type) will be located onshore between the LaFarge Cement facility and the McCoig Aggregate dock in the Delray neighborhood. In Windsor, the main tower or pylon will be located onshore between McKee Street and Prospect Avenue in the Brighton Beach neighborhood.

Name: In Michigan, Snyder calls it the NITC. In Canada, it's still the DRIC. Soon, we'll find common ground. Officials are expected to select a "permanent name mutually agreeable to both Michigan and Canada that reflects either the long history of peaceful relations between the two countries, the historic connections between Detroit and Windsor, or the commercial importance of the Detroit-Windsor border crossing area to the economic prosperity of the U.S. and Canada."
I'm glad that through the many years of wrangling over this that the sidewalk is still included for the bridge. As for the type of bridge, every time I think about this, I change my mind. A classic suspension bridge to complement the Ambassador upriver would be nice. But, a modern cable-stayed would be a nice contrast, though, it wouldn't be as beautiful.

A photo from the Windsor Star showing the general vicinity of the new bridge. This is looking south/south-east from the Detroit side of the river:

(Tyler Brownbridge | The Windsor Star)