View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2016, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that most fans who are against promotion-relegation are simply North Americans who typically can't wrap their heads around something they are not used to.

I totally agree that it's bad for investors though. It would probably make a whole bunch of people completely rule out investing in MLS if there was a possibility that they could be relegated to a lower division playing Pahrump in front of steel high school bleachers.
We'll never have a TRUE relegation system a la rest of the world for the reason you describe.

But what I could see happening is a bit of a hybrid, where you have a closed-circuit of a MLS premier league and a MLS first division with occasional movement between the two. Arena Football 1 and Arena Football 2 are the best example of that I can think of.

Like I said in my previous post, when you have teams in the same league separated on the payroll list by a factor of 5, there is a pretty serious imbalance. Good luck to the bottom rung teams in selling tickets when they finish out of the playoffs every season.