View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
That's fantastic, thanks so much! Years ago I came across some older aerials of Burbank, but they weren't very clear and I couldn't pick out many details of my neighborhood.

I've long wondered about the history of the big pine trees, which line nearly the while length of Niagara Street in Burbank. They were one reason I bought my house back in '85...they reminded me of my home town in northern California. I've inquired with the city and asked a few local historians, but no one seems to have any idea why they were planted here. They keep our street nice and shady in the summer time but drip sap onto everyone's cars, so they're a mixed blessing. 25 or 30 years ago a big one fell down, right across the roof of a neighbor's cherished vintage car. Though terrible for him, it was kind of amusing to see. I took a photo before the city came out to remove the tree. Maybe I'll dig it up and post it here. (The photo, not the tree.)

It's been a great neighborhood. We used to have a restaurant / club called Chadney's at Niagara and Olive. It had a jazz room in the basement where some great musicians would show up to play. It burned down many years ago. Dick Clark Productions was across the street from Chadneys and of course NBC was just two blocks away. Sometimes I'd walk over there in the late afternoon to catch a taping of the Tonight Show.

I used to be one of the youngest homeowners on my block. But that was a long ago, and since then most of my older neighbors have passed away. Now, I'm one of the old timers here!
hey 3940dxer, you're a neighbor- I'm on Naomi south of Clark. There's a dandy aerial from 1928 on the City of Burbank site. (It's in .pdf format, use + sign to zoom).
http://gis.burbankca.gov/maps/City_of_Burbank_1928.pdf

this is our neighborhood....looks like the trees have yet to be planted on Niagara. I live across from a long-gone natural feature (circled), a depression that I first noticed on old topos, and confirmed the existence of from my 94 year-old neighbor across the street, who complains that the plaster on her walls is cracking because they did a slipshod job of filling it in. More striped plots a couple blocks west, could they have been commercial flower fields?