View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Um, yes, Kolkata.

A "decrepit sinister jungle" You sound like Uncle Charlie in Shadow of a Doubt--"Do you know the world is a foul sty?.... The world's a hell." And Exactly how much of the "3rd world" have you seen, Cityboy?

As Kevin Sessums wrote in one of his books-- whining about how great things used to be is really all about wanting to be a child again, or young again, or words to that effect. The LA you seem to want to restore was in many ways a horrible place, crime-ridden, gangster-sleazy, corrupt, and unjust, no Mayberry or Mayfield, or 1940s Santa Rosa in the movies...hence Noirish LA. (Just study the papers from "the good old days.") Today's LA is a vibrant place and one with much remaining architectural integrity and restoration. And if it isn't fully restored yet--don't look at the burglar-bar gate, look at the building itself.

The post above is what is known as an ad hominem attack. I was sort of expecting it.

Argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the person making the argument.

This has been happening to me on this thread for years and many here are well aware of who is doing it. [I get many private messages about it.]

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 22, 2018 at 3:33 PM.