View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The first two sentences in the clipping you posted below was of interest (to me anyway) as it ties in to what you told us before about Toberman's new house:

I don't know if "Maj Toberman" was Ralph or Charles.

It was Ralph's father James R Toberman--mayor of Los Angeles for six one-years terms (from 1872 to '74 and 1878 to '82)--who was called "Major." I haven't seen anything yet that explains how he came to be called that. According to city directories, he was at 615 S Pearl/Figueroa from at least 1891 and until he moved to Crown Ave in 1906. There are newspaper references to him intending to build a house at Orange (Wilshire) and St. Paul in 1902, but he seems not to have done so, or he did it on spec. Perhaps the Hollywood residence mentioned in the article I posted was his place in the country at that time. At any rate, he would have been 70 in 1906 when he built the Crown Ave/Harvard Blvd house (post 11509). The Major died in 1911. Son Ralph (b 1868), seems always to have lived with his parents; he lived at 1749 N Harvard until he died in 1924.