View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 3:47 AM

Hmm, I looked up La Vista Terrace on the LAPL website and it doesn't give a street number, just that the location is Columbia Street. Looking through my Thomas Guide, though, there's no location of a Columbia Street in Los Angeles that I can see; there's a Columbia Place and Columbia Avenue in Echo Park, but I'm not sure if that's the same street. There's a Columbia Street in Pasadena and South Pasadena but I doubt this is the same location...

Here are some pics of the Philharmonic Auditorium. The LA Philharmonic played there until the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion opened in the mid 1960s.

This building replaced an older building called Hazard's Pavilion and was dedicated in 1906. For a while, silent films were shown there, and it was known as Clune's Auditorium. It became the Philharmonic Auditorium in 1920, or thereabouts.

Here it is in 1906:

USC Archive

Here's the interior of the auditorium in 1928:

USC Archive

In the 1930s, it was remodeled into a restrained Deco Moderne style. Here it is in 1984:

USC Archive

In 1985 it was demolished to make way for an office building, but those plans fell through. It has since remained a surface parking lot. And as mentioned before, that parking lot is the site of the planned Park Fifth development, a hotel/residential and commercial high-rise development, but I'm not sure if those plans have been put on hold or canceled.

~ Charles Bukowski