View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Lucky find: There seemed to be no J. A. Pitch in L.A. CDs... but I did find a reference to one in the Times of November 30, 1925, living at 5401 La Cresta Court. He was referred to as a landlord, apparently owning several or all of the little houses in the neighborhood...which appears to be somewhat of a hidden jewel. Anyway, below is the house which once had a practically new '36 Ford in one of its front rooms:

The driver's view moments before barrelling north on St. Andrews Place and climbing the steps of 5401...

I'd use my chainsaw on those annoying bushes, but then 5402 Monroe Avenue below gives you a good idea of what the little houses looked like before rampant, architecture-obscuring vegetation took hold in L.A....

Previous mayhem: The little noirish/James M. Cainish story that first led me to the neighborhood took place at 5402 Monroe...

LAT Nov 30, 1925

A blue shotgun streetsign from the past always suggests the noir era to me...

FWIW: The first house my parents owned and the first home about which I have a clear memory was at 5428 Monroe Street (about half a block west of this little court). We lived there from about 1946 until we moved to Reseda in '54. I remember La Cresta Court well.