View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 8:47 PM

The way the Los Angeles media has portrayed it, has always been this, which is how I've always defined a McMansion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Its the infill home on semi-urban lots where they come in and build 2-3x the square footage of the original house. Fills a want/need for the consumer to have a large new home closer into the city. Also makes it possible for the developer to make money by leveraging the square footage.
In fact, I found an article about the city of LA making laws regarding McMansions; I didn't realize it was this recent:

From LA Curbed, March 2017:
LA takes new steps to fight McMansions
Updated rules make it harder to build big, boxy homes

I've always called large, often garish and distasteful homes (though taste is subjective, of course) built by one developer and large tracts of them, "tract mansions." Because that's what they essentially are, often on larger lots than the average tract home development, and yes, in the LA area, they are often in places like Calabasas, south Orange County, even some in the Inland Empire. They are often (but not always) a "gated community," and all built in a similar style within a development, hence my moniker of "tract mansion"... because all tract houses look alike, right?

But in SoCal, these kinds of homes aren't cheap, they're often in the millions of dollars, or at least in the 800K-900K range, but that would probably be in the Inland Empire.

Edit: I take it back, even some Inland Empire "tract mansions" are in the million dollar range. I just saw this on Zillow:

5362 Windsor Pl,
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91737
5 beds 6 baths 5,430 sqft

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Oct 30, 2017 at 9:03 PM.