View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post
The 100000 sqft facility is built on 2 acre of land and was originally built in 1941 as a World War II air defense center to coordinate radar installations. The studio was established in 1947 and its purpose kept secret. The studio consisted of a complete stage, 2 screening rooms, a helicopter landing pad, a bomb shelter and 17 climate controlled film vaults as well as two underground parking garages. With the latest equipment the studio could process both 35 mm and 16 mm motion pictures as well as optical prints and still photographs. The nuclear tests at Nevada Test Site were filmed in various formats including CinemaScope, stereophonic sound, VistaVision and 3-D photography."
Thanks for sharing your findings rcarlton! I had no idea it was such a large complex.

below: A rare screen grab of one of the films produced at the secret studio in Laurel Canyon.
Surprisingly, 'Lookout Mountain Laboratory' is listed in the credits.

unclassified usaf

It's hard for me to swallow that this 'Cold War' complex is now a 'private' residence.
What could possibly be done with 17 film vaults and a 200 car underground parking garage? (not to mention all the other unusual amenities)
Why didn't the U.S. Government simply tear it all down?

FYI: I am certainly not a 'tin foil hat' type of person but this seems very odd to me.
____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 7, 2012 at 4:11 AM.