View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:18 PM
Dallas, TX

Here is what I found on this complex: "For twenty-two years during the Cold War, the federal government operated a secret film studio in the Hollywood Hills, in a complex which has since been converted into a private residence. Called Lookout Mountain Air Force Station, the studio produced films from 1947 to 1969, for all branches of the armed services, as well as for the Atomic Energy Commission. Though this was the principal production facility for the films of the atmospheric nuclear testing program, only a few dozen of the thousands of films made here have been declassified. The self-contained filmmaking compound employed around 250 people, and covered 2.5 built-up acres, housing studios, film vaults, production areas and screening rooms. It is surrounded by residential structures in the eccentric and hilly neighborhood on Wonderland Avenue, five minutes from the Sunset Strip, and is now the home of a Municipal Court Commissioner and an artist."

And: "The Lookout Mountain Air Force Station (LMAFS) located on Wonderland Avenue, Los Angeles, California, provided in-service production of classified motion picture and still photographs to the U.S. Department of Defense and the Atomic Energy Commission from 1947-1969.

The 100000 sqft facility is built on 2 acre of land and was originally built in 1941 as a World War II air defense center to coordinate radar installations. The studio was established in 1947 and its purpose kept secret. The studio consisted of a complete stage, 2 screening rooms, a helicopter landing pad, a bomb shelter and 17 climate controlled film vaults as well as two underground parking garages. With the latest equipment the studio could process both 35 mm and 16 mm motion pictures as well as optical prints and still photographs. The nuclear tests at Nevada Test Site were filmed in various formats including CinemaScope, stereophonic sound, VistaVision and 3-D photography."

Very hard to see from street view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Yes, that military film complex has been on my wish list. My wife and I have an errand in that area tomorrow and maybe we'll go look for it. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out exactly where it is, but finally found it about about 2 hours of searching. It's a very extravagant private residence now. Here's a Google satellite image. Nice parking lot. (!)

Last edited by rcarlton; Feb 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM.