View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Also my best guess on the large mansion on the hill is it may be the Mead house, the original developer of Los Feliz William Mead, although his house was completed in 1917 or thereabouts. Still I think it's plausible that's his manse on the hill at 4533 Cockerham Drive. My two cents (total of four cents)
The William Mead house was also my guess. A 1927 aerial view only shows three large houses in that vicinity: the William Mead house at 4533 Cockerham Drive, 4519 Cockerham Drive (1926 by Wallace Neff) and Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House (1924).

Luckily, GW posted this article back in 2012, which seems to confirm that the William Mead house was nearly complete in 1913:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Los Angeles Times, April 6, 1913

Real estate developer William Mead is described in some bios as once having owned all the land north of Los Feliz Blvd from Western Avenue east to the river.
Mead seems to have hired only the top L.A. architects of the day to design houses for his tract. Mead himself may or may not have lived in either the Luckenbach
house or the one in the drawing above, which still stands at 4533 Cockerham Drive:

GoogleSV

Some more shots of the house are here. (Prepare yourself for a major tackfest, at least indoors.)
I also found this video:

Video Link