View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
The problem is there's few developments like this in the Bay Area. Dublin is one of the few exceptions because they build the suburban housing and mixed-use developments like this. Literally across the freeway in Pleasanton or Livermore, you'd never see developments like this and there's few suburban housing developments.

In countless areas of the Bay, there's suburban shopping centers with parking lots that are >50% empty most of the time, yet trying to rezone these areas to allow for midrise residential on top of commercial big box stores would be like asking someone to tear off their arm. The Bay Area is one of the extreme examples of what happens when you don't build housing (the most extreme example in California to me is Santa Barbara). You don't have to build neighborhoods of McMansions, but a few townhome developments and mixed-use could solve a lot of issues. But my views! The shadows!
The other ones I used were Contra Costa Center and to a lesser extent, Concord. Couple examples in the D.C. area as well.

Who represents the opposition to shopping mall/big box redevelopment? Every institutional owner here worth their salt who has large retail exposure has big redevelopment plans in their back pocket. It's going to be a race to start selling residential and office space in, around, and over those second-tier malls before they're left with a useless shell.