View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal1954 View Post

I am trying to get the right perspective, which corner was that statue on, in the early 1900's? I am assuming it was Hill and 5th, but not sure of the direction on the compass as to which corner it was at? S/W corner of Hill St. and 5th St.??
The SW corner (which is the NE corner of the actual park), just across from the Willoughby. It's now a little further south, with its back to Hill St. In the new photo I posted above (and reposted below), one can see the back of the old Miliron's Dept store behind it to the left.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ing_Square.jpg

The original placement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Found on ebay last Sept. 2012.

I thought it was interesting that the height of the plinth was reduced so dramatically because the roof of the then-new underground parking garage could not withstand the weight.

I don't like the "new" Pershing Square either. I was appalled when that went in. No one seems to like it. There's plans afoot to redo it again. 20 years is enough already.

"In 1992, the park was closed for a major $14.5-million redesign and renovation by architect—landscape architect Ricardo Legorreta of Mexico, and landscape architect Laurie Olin of the U.S. The new park opened in 1994 with: a 10-story purple bell tower, fountains, numerous public artworks including a walkway representing an earthquake fault line designed and executed by artist Barbara McCarren, a concert stage, a seasonal ice rink, and small plazas with seating. It is now predominantly paved expanses, with small areas of trees in raised planters.[1]
The park faces criticism from what many believe to be a poor design.[5] The walls along the sides and the raised entryway on the corners keep people out rather than invite people in. The arched seating and railings are intended to deter the homeless from laying down and sleeping causing the area to feel uninviting. The locals call the palm tree lined area near the Northeast corner "urinal alley" citing disgust over the frequent urination from the homeless.
The artwork and fountain on the South end created by Ricardo Legorreta often goes misinterpreted even though it was created with good intention. The purple bell tower, aqueduct, and orange concrete spheres are meant to symbolize the water flow from the California mountain ranges to the citrus farmers. However, most visitors misinterpret this as just being ugly without any meaning or significance. Visitors only see orange concrete spheres, uncomfortable seating, a fountain, and an abstract purple triangle-like structure with a bell inside without any further interpretation.
The "Cheese Wedge" structure that houses a closed snack bar also has significance and meaning, none of which is known at the time of posting.
AEG, the corporation currently operating the Staples Center and L.A. Live complex is currently sponsoring a $700,000.00 re-design of the Pershing Square.[6] Efforts are currently underway to re-envision ways to improve the current park"

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershin...e_(Los_Angeles)

Last edited by tovangar2; Jun 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM. Reason: fix links, add image