View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Does anyone have the details regarding the changes made to the Angels Flight station up on Olive Street?
Here are the basics that I know (or think I know).

When Angels Flight started about 1901, the Olive Street station was just a small shelter.
I think this may be it next to the Elks building.

LAPL

About 1910, this beautiful station was built. Here is a photo, which I believe Michael Ryerson
posted (sorry if it was someone else).

Here is where I start to get lost. By the early 1920's, the station was down to about one third of its size.
What happened? It appears in this photo that the bottom of some of the pillars were still in place.

LAPL

Then, maybe sometime in the 1930's or 1940's (again I don't know for sure), someone with absolutely no architectural
ability tacked on the ugly addition which remains to this day.

LAPL

Does anyone know what happened to the 1910 station and why was it never restored?

ER - Pretty ironic that the movie sphinx also got buried in sand and had to be discovered by archaeologists.
I'm gonna go with some kind of subsidence issue, look at the angle of the rear column stump in the 1920's shot, or even tree roots pushing up the foundations? you can see one in the background of the 1910's shot.

Hell even the 30's addition has a crooked slant on it