View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The following three photographs just turned up on eBay.

They show a dirt road known as the 'Mount Hollywood Trail' in 1916.

This first one is the most haunting (and my personal favorite) It shows a somewhat deteriorated pergola along the trail somewhere near Franklin St.

The next photograph shows the trail with a sign. (but the sign is impossible to read)

eBay

The last photograph was taken from the top of Mount Hollywood looking towards Glendale and Pasadena.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................As you can see, I made it a bit larger than the other two.

eBay

I tried to find an old map that includes the 'Mount Hollywood Trail' but I haven't had any luck.............................yet.

I'm refraining from getting my whip out.
I'm here to help(being that I'm a loyal minion), the US Government is your friend. Here's the USGS topo map from 1928:

via USGS

You can see a road that follows(though a bit more curvy) the current path of Commonwealth as it curves west to Vermont Canyon Road and Vista Del Vale Road as it then heads north though the park. If you took this route to Mt. Hollywood(and I have) you'd exit Vista Del Vale just below Glendale Peak and climb up the hogback(the ridge looks like a hog's back) to Dante's View and then up to the summit.

When I first saw the second picture I thought it might be a picture of Mt. Bell(north of Mt. Hollywood), since I'd taken a picture there almost 100 years to the day latter(I took my pic on Jan. 21, 2016). But there's a small mountain(informally known as "Taco Peak") between Mt. Bell and Mt. Hollywood. So that wasn't it.

(My guess on the first pic is that it's near Commonwealth and Franklin, but that's just a WAG).

The third picture, well at least the foreground, looked like Beacon Hill, but as you can see below the hills don't quite line up correctly. The tall peak in the San Rafael Hills is right below Mt. Wilson when in the 1916 photo it's a bit to the right.

_3150002-Edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

More likely is a spot just north of the summit of Mt. Hollywood that has some benches and some young trees(it's now dedicated to a slain LAPD officer). This is the view from about there:

_A030063.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

The problem with looking at current maps(like Google) is the topography at the lower elevations has changed. The Roosevelt Golf Course wasn't there then and I'm sure there was some "smoothing" of the landscape.