View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
The difference in metro population is only 378,843. Would you act like Austin is much bigger than a metro of 1,273,759, especially if it was growing faster and all signs pointed to it becoming a larger metro in the not too distant future?
I have seen this before and I believe by 2040 or 2050 Austin would have a larger metro area. But if I'm not mistaken those projections were made prior to Toyota moving in to SA, and also several other big projects coming to SA and the expansion of several thousand to Fort Sam. I saw a new projection that SA metro should be hitting the 3 million in about 10-12 years. I also think that the combined Austin-SA metro area has topped 4 million. Also even though Hays County is next to Travis, I believe many people in southern Hays have a closer connection to Bexar than to Travis. Some here in SA even consider Hays part of the SA area. I would be great for the two areas to work closer together and close the gap. Comal and Guadalupe Counties have over 100,000 each now and New Braunfels should be hitting the 100,000 in 10 years or so. The problem with SA is, yes, we have a larger population, but we also have a very large low income population and that makes a heck of a difference. Count the illegals and we may top 5 million