View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:05 PM

Autumn in Duluth, Minnesota.

September, atop a stone pillar above the Lester River.

This was taken from the area of Hawk Ridge on that same day in 2015.

Looking west (southwest, actually) from Hawk Ridge. The city continues on to beyond the farthest landmark visible here, which is Bardon's Peak. Bear in mind that this isn't even the peak of the fall colors.

Winter.

Duluth is notorious for its cold winters. Here wedges of ice from the frozen-over Lake Superior are pushed ashore near Lake Place Park in January of 2015. I went down to Lake Place to catch the sunrise often back then, getting photos of this beautiful frozen desert before school started. The temperature was often in the neighborhood of zero Fahrenheit, with the stiff wind bringing the temp down quite a bit, and for this shot, which required I get down in the snow, I nearly got frostbite.

The sun rises late at this time of year, ~7:55 at the latest, and they look spectacular, so long as the sun isn't too hidden. Sometimes whole weeks without uncovered sunlight go by.

November, 2014, from a path connecting downtown to Bayfront Park via the western end of the Lake Superior Railroad Museum/North Shore Scenic Railroad railyard, where heritage units lie dormant. The two RDCs seen here will be decked out in lines upon lines of LED lights for holiday-time service to Bentleyville (Bayfront Park) and the North Pole (Fitgers). Meanwhile, the tower crane needed to build the Duluth Transportation Center is erected.

March, 2016. After much of that winter's snow has melted, a surprise overnight snowstorm strikes, and at eight in the morning every limb of every tree is frosted over. Here tall pines stand high over the roaring Tischer River in the east Duluth neighborhood of Congdon.

Aerial Lift Bridge live stream:
http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st2.html