View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:17 AM
The New Republic

^^ It's a myth the US uber rich feed the masses to keep the current system in place. It's a lie because the deck is heavily stacked against regular people and they know it. Unfortunately, tons of Americans get seduced by that lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post

People with ability don’t care about (most) social services
Sounds like one of those US political slogans some people eagerly latch on to but in practice society disintegrates without proper checks and balances. The affluent and privileged become more so while the rest fall further and further behind. You don't have to go far in the US to see what that looks like. Some see them as 'throw away people' but all I see is massive potential wasted; a human catastrophe. Some societies like Canada see the wisdom in rejecting that philosophy in favour of another: having as many of our citizens (ideally all of them) reach their potential.

I realize many Americans view it as outrageous that one would subsidize, give a leg up, and/or invest in marginalized people but I suppose it boils down to what kind of society you want to have. If opting for a more egalitarian juster society means we don't have an uber rich 1% I'm totally fine with it. I live on a street with multi-million dollar houses, middle class condos, and social housing one next to the other. Some of those people on assistance won't ever become successful and productive while others will. That's ok. I don't need social services but see first hand how important they are. I'm not the only prospering person who thinks so either.

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 15, 2019 at 2:43 AM.