Thread: Light Rail Boom
View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2010, 3:25 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

The Buffalo system should expand there system , which will be hard in NYS because all the money goes to NYC. Anyway , even though the Hudson-Bergen LRT system gets 40,000 , i think its safer to say its around 60,000......for some reason its always crowded and jammed. Anyway , it has generated at least 15 billion $$$ in Developments since 2000. New Jersey also has 2 more systems that service the Philly Metro and Newark. There are plans to connect all of NJ's Cities with Light Rail by 2025. That would mean around 300 miles of LRT , some diesel , some electric , maybe one Automatic system. Due to Jersey Politics and other stuff , we are behind on getting 2 lines up and running. But I do see it happening , those areas are starting to become bottlenecks. Now unfortunately due to the rising costs , there won't be a cut n cover tunnel running under Board Street form Newark Penn. There will be street running , intill they get to near the airport and then a separate guide-way will form for the Newark Penn - Midtown Elizabeth via Jersey Gardens. The Newark Penn - Midtown line would probably be a Streetcar and run along a busy bus line. Then there's a proposed line form Midtown Elizabeth west along the former Conrail Tracks to Cranford NJT station , its basically an extension of the Newark Penn - Midtown Elizabeth via Jersey Gardens. Then Theres the proposed line form Newark Board Street Station to Paterson ,NJ , it would run on abandoned and lightly used freight tracks. Another proposed line would run form Bloomfield's Grove Street Newark LRT station to Jersey City via an abandoned Freight line. Another proposed line would run along abandoned tracks form Passaic to Paterson. My County was supposed to have a Diesel Light Rail line running across it by now , but corruption & NJT stupid mismanagement delayed that. 2 Extensions of the Diesel Riverline are planned in South Jersey. New Jersey has a bright LRT future , the problem is $$$$ & Corruption / bad planning.....sigh.....