View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:02 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
its ridership is low because it doesn't connect to enough points to make it convenient for many people to use. if it were expanded and more integrated with the overall city plan, it would be used like crazy. as it is now, the only way to transfer from one line to the other is either at city hall or at 8th and market (if you use the broad-ridge spur.)
Correct. The system as it is now is laid out not unlike Atlanta's. There are two lines that meet at a central point and otherwise basically never meet. Although here there are several key transit nodes located along both lines with 8th and Market, 30th Street and 69th Street as the only ones with rail connections (all long The El/Blue Line, which may help explain why it's the busiest route on the system). Connectivity is the issue. As I said before, it's simple to ride the subway to some point and transfer to a bus but it isn't convenient, terribly fast or efficient with the way SEPTA runs its schedules.

Also, again, the ridership isn't "low" (as in only used at rush hour), it's simply a case of fewer people seeing it as an option when it's optional (i.e. a night downtown) because of the lack of convenience. Even if the system ran 24/7 what in the world would it connect to? For once I find myself in agreement with miketoronto.