View Single Post
Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I live near Griffith, and I absolutely love it, but it's not accessible to the public in a way that Golden Gate or Central Parks are. It's not a few blocks from a subway station- come on. It's at least 20 'blocks' (and block sizes in LA are huge) to the Vermont entrance of the park from Vermont/Sunset. Even at the entrance, there is nothing really to do on foot in that part of the park. The grassy lawns are mostly on the other side of the mountains, and the trails are up on the hills. I suppose one could take the Observatory shuttle bus from the metro, but that's a hassle. People get to Griffith and Runyon like people in LA get everywhere- they drive. Mountainous parks just aren't going to be accessible to the public the same way a park that's integrated with the fabric of the city is. I would love to see the Hollywood freeway cap park come to fruition for this reason.
I was thinking or Hollywood and Western station. You walk up Western and go up Los Feliz to Ferndale. There's a giant sign that says "Griffith Park" on Los Feliz.
It's a short walk. I've done it.

That part of Griffith Park is pretty amazing.