View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I agree with this, but you've got snobs in Cambridge who say things like "I've never even been to Boston!". I don't think they'll ever let go of their designated city status.
That's hilarious! Last year, I visited Boston for the first time in July. I stayed with a good friend of mine at her apartment in the Fenway neighborhood. She was studying at BU over the summer and suggested that I should come up and see Boston, which is something I had always wanted to do at that point. Anyway, walking along both Commonwealth Avenue and Beacon Street was confusing; although I was in "suburban" Brookline, the urban fabric continued almost seamlessly after Park Drive (I believe that's the Boston/Brookline border).

Quote:
It's one of the most handsome and walkable downtowns in the united states with great connectivity with the harbor. What underwhelmed you?
Tbh, I spent a lot of time around Boston during my visit. I arrived at South Station and walked along Atlantic Avenue until my friend arrived. We then ate in Chinatown and took the B trolley to her place. Over the next few days, I visited Brookline, Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, the Esplanade, Salem, Revere Beach, Newbury Street, Downtown Crossing, and Boston Commons. On the last evening I was there, I took the Red Line to Dorchester, connected with the Mattapan Trolley, and turned around. I got off at Savin Hill and walked from Southie to the North End to try Regina's Pizza. I guess all of that was a really long way of saying that I didn't see too much of Downtown. I can't wait to see more of it when I return, however! Despite what I stated about Downtown, I think that Philly and Boston are the best cities in the U.S.

Quote:
Honestly curious about this, what part was less walkable than you expected? New York doesn't have a neighborhood like Beacon Hill or the North End so it lacks in European-esque pedestrian streets (which is part of why I think Boston is better than New York) but objectively it's the most walkable city in the country by sheer size.
I have been visiting NYC for years, but recently started going by myself. Midtown has a problem similar to the western portion of Center City: wide one-way streets. NYC is undoubtedly the most walkable U.S. city, but the avenues are really wide!

Quote:
They're both old, great colonial cities with very similar urban fabrics and similar troubles and history. I wouldn't hold Baltimore's riots against the city, it's not really up to you to deem the riots justifiable or not.
I don't hold the riots against the city. Ultimately, a minority of Baltimoreans committed those atrocious acts. As someone who grew up poor in West Philadelphia and Chester, I know not to hold things against a city. The VAST majority of people within a city are hard-working, innocent people who are just trying to survive like the rest of us; however, the less than 10% of criminals attempt to make life hard for the others.

Regardless of everything, Baltimore is an interesting city that I still intend to visit and explore this summer. I have only stayed in the Inner Harbor area, and I would love to see more of what the city has to offer.

Temple University '18 ']['