View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 8:19 PM

I was going to post this Julius Shulman photo yesterday, but then I came across a load of extra pictures to sort through. This is the only one in "Job 416: Welch's (Long Beach, Calif.), 1949".

Getty Research Institute

It turns out that the definitive photographs of Welch's were taken by Maynard L Parker. First I found this exterior view.

www.theseamericans.com

Here are some more of Maynard L Parker's pictures from Calisphere. Unfortunately, they're all much smaller than the image above.

All from calisphere.org

The address of Welch's was 4401 Atlantic Boulevard. You can see the distinctively-shaped restaurant on the north-west corner of the intersection with E San Antonio Drive in this 1972 view. By 1980, it was gone.

Historic Aerials

I'll finish with a color postcard from the 1950s that I found at SDSU. After double-checking this thread, I discovered that it was originally posted by Beaudry in post #2316. Welch's apparently billed itself as "Southern California’s Most Beautiful Restaurant". There are more color pictures and some additional information in an article at onbunkerhill.org. The article also covers Grisinger’s Drive-In Coffee Shop on the opposite corner of the intersection.

SDSU Library & Information Access