View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is wholly unrepresentative of an ordinary day in any US city. It cannot be used as representative of what any US city is normally like.

Americans uniformly take advantage of rare three-day national holidays like Labor Day to get out of town, and unlike cold-weather holidays like Christmas (which is very much an 'urban' oriented holiday in many urban centers), Labor Day is widely held as the last gasp of "Summer," with a very strong emphasis on being in the great outdoors--the vacation house, the mountains, the beaches, etc.

But then, you must have known all that, because otherwise you surely wouldn't have done exactly the thing you most denounce in others--posting about things you don't understand.
Very predictable response...

Off course it is bullshit that everyone suddenly leaves town because of three days off. But that was kind of the point of my post in the first place wasn't it? People NOT leaving town every chance they get, because there are activities IN town, especially during holidays!

And if I didn't know about Labor Day before (I did), don't you think I would know about what it entails after that, through conversations and reading? No, Labor Day was in fact not the only day I spend in the US and Baltimore is not the only US city I've been to. What I wrote is generally true for all my experiences (except New York) and a good example that applies to many US cities.

I really liked Baltimore. Gorgeous buildings and houses that would be in high demand anywhere in Europe.

This was kind of post apocalyptic though, even on Labor Day... And not the only experience of that sort.