View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Thanks Jansen, MikeD and Fontucky. Obviously the old studio that I thought was on Melrose or Santa Monica was NOT PRC - such are the vagaries of human memory. I must've been thinking of another place that used to exist in that general location - Desilu?
It is interesting to now know where PRC was (On Gower near Sunset and almost next door to Columbia) and to think of all the campy films that were shot within those walls - "Fog Island," Philo Vance Returns," "The Flying Serpent," "Strange Illusion," "Club Havana," etc. - even a kind of charming little color film called "The Enchanted Forest" (1945-46 I think) that showed on TCM. PRC was certainly headquarters central ( along with Monogram) for ultra low-budget Noir.
I once visted KCET, the old Monogram/Allied Artists lot in the 70's and particularly remember a row of small attached craftsman bungalow-type bldgs. that I assume were used as offices or dressing rooms - and was interested to find that the lot dates back to 1912.
One of the Desilu lots was the old RKO Studios at 780 N Gower at the corner of Melrose. It started as the Robertson Cole Studios in 1920, became FBO in 1923, RKO in 1928, Desilu in 1957 and is now part of Paramount. The globe part of the RKO sign still sits on top of a sound stage minus the radio tower.

I think just west on Melrose was Samuel Z Arkoff's American International Pictures office. Does anyone know where the AIP studio was?