View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 3:31 AM

Very cool color photos, Gaylord and gsjansen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Interestingly, that place next door, what's now a sandwich shop? Was the Nite Owl café in LA Confidential.

When Malumot said

A barbershop, a late-50s American sedan, cigars, and a man with a hat....are you kiddin' me?

Some people want to go back in time to Paris in the '20s, London in the Victorian era, the Palace of Versailles or the time of the Pharoahs.....

I'd be happy just to spend some time at the Owl.

I have to agree. But it's an interesting question, and since we're all interesting folk...I'm asking the panel to address it. Let's say you had a time machine (apart from the one that is this thread; a real one, with blinky lights on it and stuff) and you could pop back to Old LA for, say, a weekend. Would you prowl around January 1947, looking for Elizabeth Short? Would you stand about and watch the 1880s construction of Bunker Hill? Personally, I find the Sunday evening of 15 December 1935 mightily attractive, so I might peep into Thelma Todd's garage. Plus mid-30s LA...too early for me to go to Coulter's on Wilshire (at least I could run around the Richfield for a while) but that's the sacrifice to be made for solving Todd's death.

So. You?
As a kid in high school I used to fantasize about time travel to 1940s Los Angeles. I was very obsessed with the 1940s when I was a teen. But it wasn't until I got to college that someone pointed out to me, "you probably wouldn't even have been welcome in a lot of establishments back then." Which makes me wonder, would I have seen lots of "No Dogs or Filipinos Allowed" signs in 1930s and 1940s LA? Maybe I could've been a houseboy or chauffeur for an aging silent screen star or something-- hehe.

My mother lived in Chicago in the 1960s (my parents didn't move to LA until after they married and had me and my sister). She was there on a nursing exchange program they had with Filipino nurses; apparently she lived there during the Richard Speck murders, of which two of the murder victims, Filipino student nurses, were also there on an exchange program. Anyway, I asked her if she encountered racism in Chicago. She said "no, that was already the civil rights era."

All that aside, I would've loved to have gone to the Cocoanut Grove in its heyday and gone dancing at the Palladium back in the day, and eaten at the Hollywood Brown Derby in the 1940s: "Telephone call for Mr. Gable." I also would've loved to have ridden a Pacific Electric Car from downtown LA to Venice, or experienced the Pike in Long Beach during the 1920s.

~ Charles Bukowski