View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:18 AM

Newburyport, Massachusetts (My hometown!)

I noticed nobody has done a thread on Portsmouth NH's fraternal twin, so I decided to do one.

Newburyport, my hometown, is a small historic port city (pop. around 17,000) located in northeast Massachusetts at the mouth of the Merrimack river, near the New Hampshire border. Newburyport, as (historically) a seaport, significantly predates most of the other Merrimack Valley cities (eg Lawrence, Lowell, Manchester etc) and thus has a very different built environment, being much more similar to Portsmouth, NH instead.

I know Newburyport isn't a "skyscraper" city (I believe our tallest building is a 7-story Section 8 apartment building) but it's definitely urban in its own right. I hope it's still okay to post here. I think it is, because I've seen plenty of people post cities of similar size or smaller, such as Rumford, Maine.

The majority of these photos were taken today, during a walk, but there are some older photos thrown in, including some that I took when I was in high school.

Let's start with downtown Newburyport. This is State Street, Newburyport's main downtown street.

The corner of State and Pleasant Streets, including the Richdale convenience store, a local staple.

Newburyport Public Library. The portion of the building on the right is a late 18th century federalist mansion, while the central and lefthand portions of the building are more recent additions.

an older photo of State Street that I took a few years ago (feat. cheesy instagram filter)

Inn Street, a downtown pedestrian mall

The rest of these are in a bit of a random order.

Mural by local artist Alan Bull

Juxtaposition

An old church converted into a house. Used to be known as the "Church of Christ, Scientist." So, Christian Science i guess.

Newburyport High School

Part of the Clipper City Rail Trail

Industrial buildings by the waterfront

tacky sculpture

These next few are black and white film photos I took during high school.

And here are a few I took with a homemade pinhole camera when i was in high school

And that concludes our photo tour of Newburyport. I will probably be posting more eventually. I want to cover downtown more extensively.