View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i fully agree its a click-baity article, but on the one hand ive heard a lot of ancedotal stories about how millenials are choosing to raise kids in the city and that they WERENT following the trend back to suburbia, so did find it interesting to suggest there may be an out-migration occurring. and i do think it will be interesting to see how the next generations preferences change, in regards to neighborhoods, amenities, and cities in general. from a Gen Z perspective, cities that have been built around millennial's preferences may appear out of touch in a way that Boomer suburbia was out of touch with millennials.
No one has ever said "all Millenials are having kids and staying in the city", if you somehow got that out of numerous conversations on this board then you have serious reading comprehension issues. The argument that people have been making is that Millenials are choosing to stay in the city and raise kids at a much higher rate than other generations before them. That does not mean all Millenials are staying, that does not mean no one will ever live in the suburbs again, that does not mean that the number of Millenials in the city will go up until 100% of them live here, that does not mean that there isn't a "peak Millenial", at some point they start dying and numbers go down. This article is observing the obvious, at some point some people will in fact move to the suburbs when they have a family. The question is how many people will do that today vs 10 years ago vs 20 years ago vs 50 years ago. The number of Millenials staying in the city is far greater than previous generations.

Oh and by the way, one year does not a trend make. All these "peak Millenial" graphs show like one year of slight decline and call it a trend. That's idiotic, the graphs themselves show another drop around 2011 or 2012, by the measure of this article they could have published this in 2012 or 2013 and said "OMG PEAK MILLENIAL". In conclusion: this article is fucking clickbait garbage with zero value for anyone interested in actual trends. Come talk to me when there have been three or four years of declines for a set age group (i.e. number of 20-30 year olds in the city, not an arbitrary generational thing that is bound to fluctuate over time).