View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Regarding the short ties, if you notice, back then, men's pants had much higher waistlines, like their pants went well above their navels, so, a shorter tie would be in proportion to the higher waistlines on men's pants back then. It seems like it wasn't until the 1960s that men started wearing waistbands that came below their belly-buttons.

I've noticed in some modern films set in earlier decades of the 20th Century, that the costume designer has men's waistbands at the modern level, which kinda destroys the look.

ONTD

Every time I see high-rise pants in old movies, I wonder--especially considering that these were the days before Jockeys became popular--umm... how it was all arranged without revealing certain contours, IF you know what I mean. Perhaps the costume designers had their tricks.... Anyway... this is really out of the scope of the thread....

As for William Holden above--he's sporting another fashion quirk I've noticed before, the belt buckle worn to the side. My father still does this, at age 89. So did his brothers. They always told us they were copying their father and grandfather, who, as cotton brokers, wore their buckles that way to avoid scratching them on the brass rail overlooking the pit!