View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Isn't that the old Highway 85 route, which followed the railroad? There seems to be the idea that Vasquez was rammed on the neighborhood like I-70, but are we sure that's true? Seems that route could be as old as the neighborhood itself.

And as for the "neighborhood" - what neighborhood? In the vicinity of that interchange, you're talking maybe 12 houses? I have no hesitation saying that the convenience of 2,100 trucks is more important than 12 people who bought into a neighborhood that's been industrial since their grandparent's grandparents moved there. I need to see a convincing argument for whatever's being proposed there that doesn't rely solely on our reflexive brainless mantra that neighborhoods=good; internal combustion engines=bad.

EDIT: Sort of like legislators reflexively voting for guns=bad, even when the actual legislation has no practical effect whatsoever. Then they get recalled for it. And Pueblo is represented by a Republican now. It's almost comical, but I almost feel like liberals deserve what they get, voting more on principle than using our brains - making the same mistakes conservatives were making when they ran the show ~15 years ago, assuming that Colorado is a true-blue state forever now. Ha.

Also, Mayor Hancock is threatening to veto the plastic bag tax? His first veto, really? Can we say worst mayor ever?

I'm just grumpy this morning.
Are we really inconveniencing the truckers? Do we know that for certain? There's no westbound on-ramp on Colorado Blvd when coming from the North. What percentage of those truckers take Vasquez solely because of that?

Historically Vasquez first showed up as a multi-lane road in 1947 as part of route 6 which curved onto the existing 46th. As far as the "neighborhood" goes at I 70 and Steele/Vasquez to the NE is Industrial, but to the SE, SW, and NW is residential, so yes I consider that part to be residential or a neighborhood. However I do not consider building Vasquez the same as building an interstate through an existing neighborhood, and I am not equating the two.

More importantly in my mind do we really need the combined capacity of Vasquez and Colorado Blvd when the vehicle counts are so low, and those roads at most are half a mile apart? It just seems like overkill to have two roads designed to carry so much more than they are (or likely ever will) half a mile apart from each other on a freeway.