View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 9:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Jesus, Herald. I am absolutely shocked they printed it. It is probably, by far, the most-read magazine in the province.

Anti-gay letter prompts human rights complaint against Newfoundland Herald

Western Pride NL member Kyle Curnew wants The Newfoundland Herald to issue an apology for publishing a two-page Letter to the Editor in its Aug. 3-9 issue. (CBC)

Quote:
Members of a Newfoundland and Labrador Pride group are so outraged about a two-page anti-gay letter to the editor recently published by an entertainment magazine in the province, they have filed a human rights complaint.

In its Aug. 3-9 issue, The Newfoundland Herald published 'The Coming Christian Revolt' in its Letters to the Editor section.

The letter is a blog post from author and right-wing American blogger Matt Barber, who published the piece on his own website, barbwire.com, last month.

In the letter, Barber took direct aim at a number of topics, including abortion and gay marriage.

Western Pride NL member Kyle Curlew, who initiated filing the complaint, said his "jaw dropped" when he first saw the two-page letter.​

"I couldn't even believe that it was published in the Herald. It was a rallying call for people to stand against LGBT rights. Essentially, hate propaganda," Curlew told CBC.

Curlew said after reading the letter, he decided to take the matter to police.

"We filed a human rights complaint under C-46, Section 19, which is 'propaganda and the incitement of hate towards an identifiable group.' So we are hoping to press charges."

Curlew said he feels the long-time publication stepped a little too far outside its role in local media.

"Letters to the Editor in a Newfoundland and Labrador magazine should, for one, include letters from our community here on this island. Not someone who is completely removed from our politics in the [United] States. The other thing, The Newfoundland Herald is a television guide, not a political magazine or a religious magazine. I don't think that kind of discourse belongs in a television guide."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...rald-1.2730367