View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

They were still in there as of Oct 1950 when the bank ran an ad celebrating its 60th anniversary. Bert F. Vogel, who'd kept a revolver in his desk in 1929 (the one used to foil the robbery) was still manager!

(LAT 10-10-1950)
Thanks for posting the Masonic Hall picture and robbery story, Noircitydame, and thanks also to Hollywood Graham and Flyingwedge for the Masonic Hall follow-ups. The blade sign was edge-on in the picture I posted, so I didn't know the identity of the building.

I was especially interesting in Noircitydame's 1950 advert (above). I've been looking over the pictures and trying to fill in the gaps in my original posts.

Going through the 1950 list, I think the Atwater branch was in the building that's still at 3224 Glandale. Here's the picture I posted previously for comparison.

GSV

The Beverly-Fairfax branch wasn't on the original list. The row of shaded windows down the side of the building makes me think that the current Wells Fargo is in the old Citizens Bank building.

GSV

The Central Manufacturing District picture shows the building at the entrance to the stock yards, so I'm guessing the bank was in there. Flyingwedge posted a large picture of this building in post #19847.

I managed to track down a picture of some of the Echo-Park-Sunset Boulevard branch. I'm sure Wig-Wag will enjoy the streetcar, but I wish it wasn't blocking the building. Just to remind you, it's now a parking lot.

www.uncanny.net

Still no luck with the Eighth & Vermont branch, although I did find a "then and now" (1950/2013) for the building on the opposite corner of Eighth and Vermont - check it out here.

At least we now have a better idea what the Larchmont Boulevard looked like.

The Leimert Park branch had had quite a makeover by 1950. The large script across the front makes it look more like a Hollywood nightclub.

Clearer pictures of the Maywood branch still remain elusive.

I can't find any vintage pictures of the Morningside Park branch at 2745 W Manchester Boulevard, but I think we have a survivor. I like the detailing in the strip above the windows.

GSV

The Plaza branch is obviously not in the same location as the 1929 list. In 1950, Sunset Boulevard started at the Plaza (it has since been re-routed and renamed Cesar E Chavez Avenue). The LAPL picture below has previously been posted by MichaelRyerson. It shows N Spring Street in 1940, but the white bank building can be seen in the background to the right of Pico House.

LAPL

No address is given for the "under construction" Sheila-Eastern branch, and I can't see any matching buildings at that intersection.

There's now a Wells Fargo at 4300 Tweedy Boulevard, South Gate, but it looks like a newer building.

Surprisingly, I can't find any pictures of the Subway Terminal Office branch. The address of 439 South Hill would place it about midway between the Subway Terminal Building and Fifth Street. That whole area is now a parking lot.

I can't match any current buildings to the Third & Catalina branch at 3651 West Third Street, and I haven't found any better contemporary pictures either. I'm guessing that this branch took over from the Third-Kenmore branch which was a block west.

There's now a US Bank at the Van Nuys address, but it's a different building from the one in the 1950 advert.

It's difficult to see much detail in the West Adams & Cloverdale picture, but the box on the roof made me think that the current building was the old bank. I found an undated Time Out review which named the current business as Café Club Fais Do-Do, and contained a link to their website. The "About" page of the website includes the following quote:

"Originally a branch office of the First Citizens Savings Bank and Trust, the architecturally historic landmark that now houses Fais Do Do was constructed in 1930 at the height of the Art Deco period in Los Angeles. As Los Angeles spread west, eastern industrialists, silent filmmakers, and other early hipsters took over the tiny Mid-City area which soon became known as the Sugar Hill District.

Later in the 60's, the bank was converted into a neighborhood bar and underground club frequented by such legendary musicians as Sam Cooke, Billy Preston, and John Coltrane."

So now we know!

GSV

Looking at the 1950 picture, I don't think the current building at 5400 South Western Avenue (posted previously) is the old bank. The search continues ...

The address for the Western & 3rd branch at 273 South Western Avenue seems to place it in the black and gold Arthur Harvey designed Selig Building, previously seen in post #9652 (the post is by BifRayRock, but includes GW's original post). Two of BifRayRock's pictures show the building with Crocker Bank signs, but I didn't find any with Citizens Bank signage. Here's a reminder of the building.

GSV

By 1950, Citizens National Bank had moved slightly west on Wilshire. The picture below shows the Wilshire-Curson branch at 5780 Wilshire Boulevard. It's now gone, replaced by an office building.

miraclemilela.com

If I turn up any more Citizens National Bank pictures, I'll be sure to post them.