View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 10:42 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeRyan View Post
This thread had me worried with those renderings. Thought they were real for a second.

What's more realistic to me is that Silverstein might want to take Foster's design and maximize the possible square footage out of the existing footprint. Perhaps by taking a page out of the BIG design and adding setbacks to the western portion of the tower. Something like this:

Nixing the four diamonds or modifying the height seems too far out of the question, and I don't think Foster would want to see something like that happen to his baby.
If external modifications are inevitable, fingers absolutely crossed for this idea! It would be the most sympathetic modification to the original, probably the only thing they can do short of a completely new superstructure design. Quick Photoshop job by me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
#MustTrollHarder
Though the site look so disjointed looking towards the south. 7WTC is mostly to blame. So generic and boring. Shame 5WTC can't be taller to fill that gap between 2WTC and 1WTC.

That was another thing so great about the Twins. They dominated the skyline from every view point. The new site only really looks good from the south/south west. Once 2WTC goes up it will block most of 1WTC from a lot of the famous Brooklyn Bridge vantage points.
That's the problem with decades of redesigning and conflicts between multiple owners and architects. The Twins were a wholistic masterplan, Yamasaki knew exactly what he was doing and nailed the complex's skyline impact. The new masterplan was envisioned by Libeskind, who in the end did not get to design a single building in the complex. The masterplan called for an actual spiral of complementary mid-rise buildings with a single centrepiece supertall. Making each building a starchitect-designed supertall was great for the individual buildings' quality, but went against the masterplan in that buildings of similar height now blocked each other off from important angles. One of the many great things about the Foster tower was that it let at least 1WTC's crown to peek through towards Brooklyn.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM.