View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aside from getting their NHL team back, I don't hear much from Quebec City and its citizens about wanting to "grow" the city into a much bigger deal than it already is. It's mostly about improving upon what's already there.

I would suppose that outside of SSP geeks there aren't many people in Winnipeg (or even Toronto or Calgary) that preoccupied with population growth either, and wanting more of it so their city can hit some form of big time.

Though I think that given the nature and culture of the places we are discussing, even if a minority there are probably more people in Winnipeg pining for more population growth so that the city can (re)affirm its place among Canada's biggest cities a bit more.

At least in the Canadian context, unlike Winnipeg, Quebec City doesn't have a sense that it has something to prove or to prove itself. Quebec City does have this sentiment big time relative to Montreal, but size doesn't enter into the matrix because things are so disproportionate between the two.
It’s true that Quebec city’s population are really not obsessed about growing more. In fact, most of them despise Montreal for being « too big ». Citizens of Quebec city mostly see their town as being perfect, to the point of being obnoxious sometimes, especially, again, in regards to Montreal. The Montreal bashing in the province is really something and I don’t think it has any equivalent elsewhere in the country. Do citizens of Victoria dislike Vancouver ?