View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Driving will remain as the dominant mode, likely for a long long time.

I think the issue is getting muddied here. It's not about the driving, it's how we approach the design and operation of the roads we drive on especially how other uses are integrated with and into them. And we (society, at many levels) can do a far, far better job of making them safer, both by design and by behaviour.
Precisely. This has nothing to do with how we get around, and all to do with how we design the infrastructure we use to get around. Dismissing the danger of the designed environment on the fact that car culture is ingrained into our society is irrelevant. My point is that car culture, something that has be denied that exists despite the fact that the main mode of transportation is by car, is causing bad road design in Hamilton. You can hear it in the way our councillors discuss the road design. If we fix our roads it will cause delays to car drivers. My point about car culture is that it is overrunning all other priorities. Endangering students? Who cars because drive fast down roads. We need to stop thinking about only moving automobiles as quickly as possible and think about other road users. Downtown needs that if it wants to continue it's upward trajectory and it will regardless because urbanites are moving to the lower city and their voice is very clearly becoming louder against these dangerous roads.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09