View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 1:37 PM

Sometimes I think most people on here are 16 year olds with zero conception as to how commercial real estate works.

Also, the need for commercial office space has changed radically since the pandemic. Apps like Teams and Zoom are only going to get better and more sophisticated. The die has been cast. Remote work is going to grow in popularity.

SY is building the structures for the future, and that includes a lot of lab space. And labs don’t need massive vertical space.

I, for one, am excited by the possibility of West Philly continuing its rise in becoming a dominant force in genetic engineering. That, to me, is more important than skyscrapers. As long as ugly 1-story buildings and surface lots are being erased, I’m happy with whatever replaces them in the 200-400 foot range.

Trust me, it’ll be 100x more impressive to see a sea of 200-400 foot buildings filled with scientists doing groundbreaking work, than a sea of empty parking lots as we wait for the one mythical company that needs a 1200 foot tower in a shifting economy where the majority of white collar jobs are trending to remote work.

I doubt we’ll see a super tall in Philly ever again, which is fine by me. I’d rather see more 300-500 ft residential towers built and a ton of 200-400 ft commercial/lab buildings built as we emerge as the epicenter of genetic engineering.