View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^

Looks intriguing, but is it all crime focused (as noir usually is) since noir means dark or black? Do you plan to some have stories on "feel good" non-crime stories as well from the "noir" era in L.A., as this very blog by ethereal reality often does? Many people (even during the Depression) lived ordinary and often happy lives back then, as we do now ( at least until the pandemic hit). How much do you plan to charge? Will it be available online as well as paper? Good work! Thanks Beaudry! Hope you do well with this.
Thanks, and I hope so too! My profit margin is surprisingly slim (quality paper, printing locally, hiring a real designer, these things cost a bundle) but if I sell enough...we'll see!

In answer to your question, yes, it is 100% dark and terrible! Though in the opening essay I discuss how it isn't really fair to paint Bunker Hill with such a bleak brush (but for the purposes of this mag, I do it anyway). I absolutely agree, there were a lot of happy people on the Hill—which I discuss at length in my book, and which is why sunshine is part of that book's title.

This project though was the result of my publishers looking a the litany of true crime I'd penned into that book and saying "well this is a depressing slog" and cutting it all out. So I had to do SOMETHING with it! Actually, that said, there is a lot of other stuff in Bunker Noir! besides crime and murder. There's a section on crazy car stunts, on wacky architecture, the famed Cooper donut riot, the Lizard People of Fort Moore, the abandoned cemetery, Klansmen, fires—anything I thought kind of mondo and offbeat that you wouldn't find in a traditional, serious city guidebook.

And no, definitely not online. I'm a big fan of ink and paper. And its cost is $28; all that info is here.