View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:27 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
They are more than welcome to be Quebeckers. (I should know, I'm in a stable long-term relationship with one )

But yeah, "Québécois", especially with those two acute accents (letters that don't even exist in the English language), I'd limit that to Francophones. I don't see this as impolitely exclusionary, rather it's just a matter of accuracy. People are what they are, not what they wish they were.

So if you ever catch me (spoiler alert: you won't) say something like "Le Québec aux Québécois!!!", then you can conclude I'm being anti-Anglo there.
Anglophones who have a pretty good fluency in French (though not necessarily unaccented) and "fit in" seamlessly with francophone Quebec, are also considered "Québécois" by most everyone (ie the French term, with accents aigus on the Es). People like Brian Mulroney, Thomas Mulcair, Corey Hart, the McGarrigle sisters, Jasey-Jay Anderson, Mike Bossy, Pat Burns, Nanette Workman, Judy Richards, Oliver Jones, Dickie Moore, Lawrence Cannon, Marlene Jennings, etc. come to mind.