View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Also I would say the vast majority of Americans aren't exactly desperate to live in harsh urbanity with small lower quality rowhomes like this. I mean there's not even trees on most of these streets and ironically most of the space is taken up by cars with small sidewalks, little room for walking. These homes also usually have tiny concrete backyards.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9294...7i16384!8i8192

Detroit's "suburban" portions of housing stock are hardly typical, more like irreplaceable per-war stunners that cant be recreated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3827...7i16384!8i8192
I would say you're both right and wrong.

While a lot of people do not prefer that type of tight, urban living accommodations, there is certainly a large number of people who desire living in these type of urban environments. More to my point, you just so happened to plop down on a street view of the Newbold neighborhood. Newbold is a neighborhood in South Philly that has been going through rapid gentrification. In fact, the 19146 zip code is one of the fastest growing and gentrifying urban zip codes in the United States, and it encompasses the already establish neighborhood of Graduate Hospital/Southwest Center City, as well as the northern half of Newbold, the Northern half of Point Breeze, and the Northern half of Grays Ferry - all areas that are very quickly rebuilding and gentrifying.

See link:
https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental...ied-zip-codes/

Of course, we'll see what COVID does to American cities....

Also, you're really harping on South Philly, like it's the only living option in the area. While I love South Philly, and think there are some really awesome urban neighborhoods like Graduate Hospital/Southwest Center City, Queen Village, Bella Vista, Passyunk Square, Pennsport, etc.... there are A TON of different urban neighborhoods with different housing types in and around the Philadelphia region, including many neighborhoods that are similar to that example you provided in Detroit.

In Philadelphia, check out Packer Park and Girard Estates in South Philly. In West Philly, check out Powelton Village, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Southwest Cedar Park, Garden Court, Overbrook Farms and Wynnefield. In Northeast Philly, check out Mayfair, Tacony and Holmesburg. In Northwest Philly, check out East Falls, Morton, Roxborough, East Mount Airy, West Mounty Airy and Chestnut Hill.

In Montgomery County, PA, check out Bala Cynwyd, Merion Station, Wynnewood, Narberth, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Conshohocken, Ambler, Wyndmoor, Elkins Park, Glenside and Jenkintown.

In Delaware County, PA, check out Wayne, Havertown, Drexel Hill, Swarthmore and Media.

In Camden County, NJ, check out Collingswood, Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Audubon and Merchantville.

These will all give you a similar urban neighborhood style to what you're looking for.