View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
I get what youre saying, but as far as wealth emanating from a job center to it's surroundings, SF is #1 on the West Coast at this time, that stat caught me off guard btw.
Right, the Bay Area economy is amazingly prosperous and fast-growing, but it's inaccurate to then ascribe all that wealth to SF itself.

The Bay Area might have the economy of Paris at this point, but that doesn't mean that SF = Paris; it's more like the Ruhr or Randstad regions. No one says Amsterdam is a Paris equivalent because the Randstad might have a comparable economy, even though Amsterdam is clearly the most important city in the Randstad, as with SF in the Bay Area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
4 Bay Area counties are considered major job centers for all of NorCal and SF, at 46 sq miles, still has the biggest outflow of earnings, even topping Santa Clara. Whodathunkit?
It's impressive, but I don't think this is particularly shocking. Santa Clara has huge bedroom communities, like pretty much the entire city of SJ. Only a small part of Santa Clara is the traditional Silicon Valley. And the "core' SV straddles San Mateo County.

Only Washington DC is similar to SF in that you have a geographically small, healthy city-county proper, and DC doesn't appear much different (though that is impressive for SF, because I believe downtown DC has much higher job counts).