View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
I don't think many people aspire to be stuck in traffic in their cars or stuck on public transportation. Given a middle class lifestyle, urban dwellers that shop at Home Depot or Costco presume the necessity of a car. It is difficult to manage 40 rolls of Brawny towels or 2 bags of potting soil on MARTA.
I was responding to the suggestion that transit use in Vancouver is high only because people can't afford cars. Hello, it's the luxury car capital of the world... incomes have nothing to do with net worth here, hence higher rates of car ownership than more autocentric cities. Owning a car doesn't mean living an autocentric lifestyle. It's such a sad suggestion that people aspire to live an autocentric lifestyle. That for rural people or urban poor.

Like I said, it's an American paradigm that public transit has to be unpleasant. Living in Toronto and Vancouver, if the trip time is the same (often the case in the inner city), people will choose transit every time, unless for transporting groceries. Heck I rarely even take transit, I just walk everywhere. For most places, by the time I find parking, I could've have walked there already.