View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:26 PM

re: L. A. schoolboy garden" location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think the photo may be earlier than 1923 as I couldn't find the California Macaroni Co in the CDs after 1917. That coincides with the dates of the Monarch Sign Co (small sign under the main one). Here's some addresses I found for the California Macaroni Co:

1902 - 228-230 Aliso
1906 - 801 Lyon
1912 - 226 N Los Angeles
1914 - 1516 Industrial
1917 - 631 San Fernando

The Monarch Sign Co was at 306 Boyd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
I found a reference to the California Macaroni Company being at Los Angeles and Commercial in 1911, that would comport with your 200 block of North Los Angeles Street.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And per Noir Noir's 1905 newspaper clipping. ...The corner of Lyon and Ramirez streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Los Angeles Herald - 3 September 1905
Thanks for all the help, guys! (but I'm in a bit of a dither)

If I want to search for the school (and garden) that was located near the macaroni factory, as shown in the ebay photograph, which location would you suggest I use?
As a reminder, a stamp on the back of the photo is dated July 17, 1923. . .but an earlier stamp, that I just now noticed, is dated March 14th 1918....LINK

P.S....Since there aren't any schoolgirls in the photograph maybe the garden project was sponsored by an all-boys school. . .or even a reform school. (?)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 31, 2019 at 9:54 PM.