View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The pipeline would not be the economic saviour of Saint John.

I still support the concept though, primarily because it rots my socks that we are dependent on oil imports on the east coast, despite the fact that Canada has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. I would be much happier giving my business to Alberta that to a corrupt Saudi prince.

Regardless, given the degree of ecological activism rampant in Canada right now, I am under no illusions that the conditions to allow construction of the pipeline will ever occur again. We would be far further ahead concentrating on development of new green energy initiatives locally here on the east coast, especially wind power. This will be necessary to satiate the increased demand in the future from the adoption of electric vehicles over the next couple of decades.
I agree. I too think it is crazy to be buying our oil from Venezuela and the Middle East when Alberta oil and NB natural gas could be had. However, the use of fossil fuels is nearing its end. What may be another 25-30 years before we are completely weaned off of it? As such I would encourage the province to become a leader in green technology. That is where the future is and the jurisdiction that establishes itself with enough critical mass in the industry will be a winner. Why not New Brunswick?